Old 25-08-2010, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete[_9_] Pete[_9_] is offline

Default Toms with Black Bottoms

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
My tomatoes are coming on fine.. Except that the base/bottom of them are
black.

What kind of infestation is that? What has caused it?

Ed

Blossom end rot - we often have this problem with the first tomatoes -
particularly this year when it was so hot and difficult to keep the growbags
moist. If you water regularly you should find that later tomatoes are OK.
We don't find it going through the whole tomato so you can cut off the bad
bit. May not be suitable for eating but fine for soup.

Jeanne