Old 25-08-2010, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Summer found us

On 8/25/2010 1:29 PM, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:08:48 -0400, wrote:
On 8/25/2010 12:14 PM, Billy wrote:
105?F in Santa Rosa, 107?F here. Opened up the house last night to cool
off. The outside temp went to 53?F, the house to 70?F.

The paper says it will be 99?F today, Accuweather.com says 92?F.

The heat didn't seem so bad yesterday, but I'm feeling a little stunned
today. The tomatoes enjoyed the heat. You could almost watch them redden.

Chance of showers on Sunday, go figure.

Here's a question for you, Billy.
Will excessive heat cause tomatoes to go dormant?

they won't polinate if too warm at night
they'll shrivel up and die if too hot during the day

Had not thought about pollination. I had a lot of ripe tomatoes but now
only a few green and not as many as in the past. Protracted hot weather
seems to have brought on a stasis. Weather is getting cooler so maybe
numbers will come back.