Old 25-08-2010, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default House plants that you can eat?

Bill who putters wrote:
I have only one that is outside in a large pot right now. That s a
Kiffer Lime which flowers when I have been real good (Kidding).
I love lemon grass but I'm at a loss to find other gems.
Any thing I should consider ?

The problem with house plants is mostly they get little or no sun and the
air is often too dry. If you include outdoor areas like patios, decks etc
and rooms with big windows facing the equator there is more scope but
mostly in the house you will be limited to plants that are small and do with
limited light. Even then the plants must be in front of a window unless
you want to burn up power on lights.

This limitation usually means that plants that need high energy are out
which excludes fruits, including solanums and cucurbits, and those that
store starch in tubers and corms. This leaves herbs (but some of them don't
do so well) and leafy greens. So try lettuce, spinach, chard, the smaller
brassicas etc.

David