Old 26-08-2010, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Timothy Murphy Timothy Murphy is offline

Default Laying turf

Derek wrote:

€8 per square metre.

Whats that about £6, so that is a bit on the dear side.

Actually, it was well worth it,
as Daniel from the garden centre not only carried the 32 turf rolls
to the garden yesterday, involving going down about 20 steps,
but he also advised us on laying the turf.
It looks like a green carpet at the moment,
which is what it is called here (tapeta erbosa).
I hope I can get my automatic watering system set up,
as it is blisteringly hot this week.

I am in the middle of preparing a new lawn, willl dig over, remove
stones, rake, tread over too remove air pockets and leave it for a
month, re rake and order some turf. Going for the very best quailty it
works out at £4 a square meter delivered, I thougth that very fair.

I started off with high ambitions, with posts carefully inserted
at the same level around the patch,
but rapidly gave that up and just raked it more or less level,
threw on some peaty compost and fertilizer,
and put the rolls down.
Well, the wife did that, she said she enjoyed doing it.
Also watered it, probably excessively.