Old 26-08-2010, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Escargo[_2_] Escargo[_2_] is offline

Default Asking advice again about Whitefly

Pam Moore wrote in
:

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:36:36 GMT, Escargo wrote:

The little buggers are holding back our brassicas.
If I tap or rattle our Brussels sprouts, swede, winter cabbage in fact
any brassica, a cloud of whitefly emerge from them.

The only thing good to come of this is that hoverfly are thriving.

They have all been sprayed with a solution of liquid soap and water
all over including where they hide underneath the leaves.

The swede is espescially looking poorly.

Can anyone help? even advice to avoid them next year will be welcome.

Thanks
Sandra and Micky

Is it that nobody knows how to get rid?

Some of these were going to be our winter veg. crop to keep us going
till spring.

Looks like the louse has won!(this year only).

Sandra and Micky

Did you follow the suggestion of vacuuming them off?
Tap the plant and suck up the cloud. Do it daily as they multiply
rapidly but you should reduce them. A little hand-held vac is good
for this.

Pam in Bristol

Thanks Pam for this suggestion(didn't see the origional), been out this
morning with the carvac and it seems to work well and am gonna stay on top
'till end of season.
The downside is that I am sucking up some of the hoverfly, but its better
than spraying with insecticide.
Damn good idea!

Sandra and Micky