Old 26-08-2010, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Avocado reached the roof.

"chris French" wrote in message
A friend of ours lives in Exeter, they have an Avocado they have grown for
about 5 years in their conservatory, and it has now reached the roof.

It has been suggested that they try it outside - but I reckon Exeter will
be too cold in the winter. I think it would need to be somewhere very mild
with no real frosts to have a chance of making it. Though I'm not sure how
bothered they are about it surviving.

Avocado can grow in frosty areas but they need good frost protection when
young. They grow in to quite large trees eventually so need space so
sacrifical trees as protection is worth thinking about. The following cite
may help. It is about one of Australia's gardening experts (but of the
alternative variety so what she tries, and can manage to grow, often goes
against conventional wisdom). She lives in an area where it can get down
to -9C at worst but would regularly get to -4C:
http://www.jackiefrench.com/groves.html