Old 26-08-2010, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Toms with Black Bottoms

Bob Hobden wrote:
Because we grow them outside on the plot we use blight resistant varieties
Ferline and Fantasio every year to ensure we do get a crop. On top of that
we also plant at least one other variety just to see what it does and this
year it's Harbinger ('cause we got the seeds free!). I do spray with
Bordeaux Mixture from about the 3rd week of July as a double precaution
against blight. Too many years we didn't get one tomato after months of
cultivation.

That's interesting. At least one of mine is Harbinger, but I'm not sure
which one it is now. I wonder if they are the ones in the baskets that were
my first to crop (outdoors)? If so, they are huge cherry or very small
normal tomato size! Google seems to think they are not tumblers, though.

I think if blight was not a problem then we would still be growing Roma
Improved (and certainly Brigade* if we could get the seeds) as we tend to
use more Toms for cooking than eating raw.

I rarely cook home grown tomatoes, it seems wasteful, somehow. We have GD
and some large ones on the front of the allotment, as it didn't seem blight
weather at the time (huh!), and they were just going to die due to not being
potted up if I left them in the greenhouse. SO far they seem unblighted.
(touch wood!)

* Brigade is a fantastic Tom for sauces etc, much darker red flesh than
skin, not over wet, and tasty. Also grew well out on the plot. Unfortunately
T & M only sell it in the US now and refused to sell it to me when I asked.

Try registering on folia website, they have a lot of US users who are very
kind about sending over seeds, etc.