Old 26-08-2010, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_3_] Ian B[_3_] is offline

Default Rose Cuttings Advice Please

Bob Hobden wrote:
"David WE Roberts" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Ian B" wrote
My neighbour pruned a very admirable rose a few weeks ago and gave
me some twigs as I'd said I liked it. I stuck three of them in the
ground with some compost and fertiliser and kept them damp. They
are all still green. One of them lost its leaves, but now it has
new red shoots appearing, so I presume it's still alive.

I'm just wondering what to do now; that is, should I let these
shoots develop or not- will it exhaust itself by trying to grow
new canes or something like that? Is there any particular time it
will be established enough to transplant to a location I want it
in? Is there a particular time of year to do so?

I've had them appear to grow but obviously no roots did as they
eventually died the following year. However if you can gets roots
to grow they will be fine but best not to let them freeze this
coming winter and if they grow away well next year plant them out.
We have a nice yellow rose bush that came from a bunch of roses
given to Sue by a friend, 5 cuttings and one rooted properly and
grew but then I did just shove them in the garden.

What is the difference when you propogate from cuttings, instead of
buying a rose grafted onto a rootstock?
Just wondering what the rootstock brings to the party if the rose
cuttings grow O.K. without one.

I've always believed it's simply that the rose growers could not
produce enough roses by the cutting method, one cutting used for
grafting would produce quite a few plants, one from each bud.

Aren't grafted ones supposed to be more vigorous?

Ian