Old 27-08-2010, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Avocado reached the roof.

On 2010-08-26 14:31:50 +0100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given said:

Avocado can grow in frosty areas but they need good frost protection
when
young. They grow in to quite large trees eventually so need space so
sacrifical trees as protection is worth thinking about. The following
cite may help. It is about one of Australia's gardening experts (but of
the alternative variety so what she tries, and can manage to grow, often
goes against conventional wisdom). She lives in an area where it can
get
down to -9C at worst but would regularly get to -4C:
http://www.jackiefrench.com/groves.html

Here is a series of pics of the garden of the author I mentioned above
with
a pic of an avocado with fruit. I do know that the area she lives in
gets
as cold as she claims it does.
http://www.jackiefrench.com/garden.html

In Australia? This is UK.rec.gardening!

Plants don't know the difference between the UK and a cold climate area of
Oz. There are many plants that grow in the UK that I can't grow because
it's too cold here.

In Cornwall last year it went
to -11C in some areas and that's the balmy south west. ;-( We can grow
stuff here that will take down to -5C but not for prolonged periods of icy
days *and* nights.

Yes and you were complaining about the weather because it was worse than
normal. The max and min winter temps in Exeter are about the same as where
that Author lives if Wikipedia can be relied upon.