Old 27-08-2010, 10:16 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmI View Post
In Cornwall last year it went
to -11C in some areas and that's the balmy south west. ;-( We can grow
stuff here that will take down to -5C but not for prolonged periods of icy
days *and* nights.

Yes and you were complaining about the weather because it was worse than
normal. The max and min winter temps in Exeter are about the same as where that Author lives if Wikipedia can be relied upon.
But "some areas" of Cornwall, which can be inland and a frost pocket, are not at all the same as locations at sea-level on south-facing inlets of the sea. I know someone living in Cornwall inland and he expects -6C frosts in a normal year. It is hilly around Exeter, and it makes quite a difference to your microclimate whether you are up a hill in the north of the city or facing the estuary to the south. It also makes an important difference whether you are in a location affected by cold air draining out of inland valley systems.