Old 27-08-2010, 10:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default It's not Just Joel Salatin anymore

"Dan L" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Dan L." wrote in message

Why I have my own chickens and a Jersey milk cow.

Mmmmmm.. A Jersey. How much does she produce a day?

Nothing yet, impregnated the cow last week. She should produce more than
I can drink.

I'm sure she will :-))

Will learn to make my own cheese products with the extra.
The cheese making equipment is not cheap.

You can make soft cheese very easily and wouldn't need anything more than
you'd have in your kitchen. Either make yoghurt or make junket using
Hansen's junket tablets (although I seem to recall that USian for Junket is
something else - curd perhaps???). Line a colander with an old soft tea
towel, pour in the yoghurt or junket and tie up the towle and hang it up and
leave it to drip overnight. if I ever have to let soemthign drip overnight
then I upturn and old stool that I keep just for this purpose and hang
whatever has to drip off a long handled wooden spoon place horizontally
across the bottom of the stool.

I read, not done it yet, it
takes 17 pounds of milk and one year to make one pound of parmesan
cheese.

Yeah I think that'd be about right. I've read up on it to as it's something
that's always interested me, but we don't have a dairy cow, I've only ever
made soft cheese but they are delicious and easy to do.

Bessy plays like a dog, wants to be petted and runs and romps
around. Sometimes I get a little nervous around her with her playfulness
and hope I do not get hurt.

Yeah. I'd be a bit nervous too. If she ever does start throwing her weight
around and pushing you, get rid of her instantly and replacce her.