Old 27-08-2010, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How long do cuttings last in water?

About 4 months ago I noticed a branch of Daphne odora aureomarginata hanging
by a thread of bark. I broke it off, and cut the end square just below a
leaf, so that the cutting was about 12 cm long, and removed all lower
leaves.

I stuck it in a small container of water on a shady window and forgot about
it, other than to empty out the water and replace it when I remembered
(about every 3 weeks!). It lost one or two leaves, but started growing more
small ones.

After 3 months I checked it but there was still no sign of any roots.
Replacing the water, I added a couple of drops of hormone rooting liquid and
put the cutting back in. It's still alive a month later, still with no
roots. Any guesses as to how long it will go on like this?

--

Jeff