Old 27-08-2010, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L Dan L is offline

Default It's not Just Joel Salatin anymore

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Dan L wrote:
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Dan L." wrote in message

Why I have my own chickens and a Jersey milk cow.

Mmmmmm.. A Jersey. How much does she produce a day?

Nothing yet, impregnated the cow last week.

How was it for you? At least she wouldn't want to share your
cigarette afterwards.

No smoker here, however the vet was up to his armpit and cost me $80

She should produce more
than I can drink. Will learn to make my own cheese products with the
extra. The cheese making equipment is not cheap. I read, not done it
yet, it takes 17 pounds of milk and one year to make one pound of
parmesan cheese. Bessy plays like a dog, wants to be petted and runs
and romps around. Sometimes I get a little nervous around her with
her playfulness and hope I do not get hurt.

I have the same worry when Mootilda bangs her face into the feed
bucket I am holding. Cows seem very rough compared to horses. I
am pretty sure she won't deliberately hurt me but the horns come
close.

David

HORNS!!!!!! Bessy was dehorned from day one! The holes filled in within
a week. The feed buckets are next to the summer shelter. She does not
see me put feed in the bucket. If she sees me she runs at full speed to
me. She has a two acre pasture to play in. I will create another two
acre pasture by next spring next to it. Same feeling here, if I get
hurt it was not intentional. I do not want her to be afraid when it
comes time for milking. She has a good friend, a chocolate labrador that
comes over and plays and romp together.

Currently she is milking me for money like there is tomorrow. Which
worries me a little. I call this the infrastructure cost that should
last a long time. One major cost is concerning me. I would love to get a
mini hay bailer, but they are extremely expensive. Right now my neighbor
bails hay for me.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L