Old 28-08-2010, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Avocado reached the roof.

In article , Sacha wrote:

Again, it's one I saw first in a garden in Jersey but it was lost in a
harder than usual winter. But it was in an open border away from the
house so had only the protection of other planting, although it was
south facing. The same garden had the miniature pomegranate in a
walled garden but again, that fell victim to one especially hard
winter. Normally, Jersey gets them every five years or so but the last
two have been hard in CI terms. ...

Both of mine are in pots and survived the last winter largely without
problems. My guess is that, like so many things, it is the British
combination of cold and wet that writes them off. With good drainage,
they seem to be able to take cold. Certainly, pomegranate grows in
places that get very cold, and the Merkins classify it as zone 7
(-15 Celsius). Acca is only zone 8.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.