Old 28-08-2010, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Grass Snake Eggs

"Jake" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 19:05:10 +0100, "Ian B"
wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:
"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 23:28:08 -0700, harry wrote:

Dismantled the compost heap yesterday and found about thirty grass
snake eggs. It least that's what I assume they are as we have
grass snakes, they regularly clear out my pond of tadpoles. I've
put them in my propagator in some damp compost. Waiting to see what
happens.

The police arrest you for an offence under the Wildlife and
Countryside act? ISTR that they are protected.

Since the compost heap has already been dismantled (or he wouldn't
have found the eggs which he could have no idea were there) I think
harry has done his best for them by doing what he has.
I don't expect the W&C Act exists to punish people who accidentally
find grass snake eggs in their compost heap while dismantling it.
I'd be so thrilled if I had grass snake eggs in *my* compost heap, I
doubt it as I've never seen a grass snake in my garden but hey, I
rarely dismantle my heap, it's 100 yds away so perhaps they are there
without me seeing them? I really enjoyed reading harry's post about
this and I hope he gets some baby grass snakes hatching out in his
propagator

Just hope there's no RSPCA inspectors, or the type of people who like
phoning them up, reading this newsgroup...

I've had experience with the RSPCA sniffing around when two dogs of mine had
a fight about food when I was away visiting a friend in hospital. Thanks
to my neighbour for reporting that to the RSPCA when I was away for a few
hours.

Same neighbour that got my very elderly cat put down. Cat had never put her
foot outside for years, 25 yrs old. but when she was outside looking for me
when I got hospital emergency admission she was collected up by someone
passing by, put down before I could rescue her.
I was gutted.