Old 28-08-2010, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Green Manure

"harry" wrote in message
Anybody out there tried this? Is it a waste of time? I bought some
seed but it seems expensive, there's gotta be a cheaper alternative.
I wondered about some cheap lawn grass seed.
I suppose you want a fast growing annual thay gets dug in before it
has chance to drop any seed.

You don't want grass seed as such, you want something that fixes nitrogen,
like Phacelia, red clover, or mustard.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/factsheets/gs3.php

Phacelia is especially pretty, we saw a field of it in France some years
ago, didn't know what it was at the time.

someone