Old 29-08-2010, 08:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default It's not Just Joel Salatin anymore

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

I have toyed with the mobile coop idea. I am quite attracted to the
mandala garden where the coop move around a series of beds but I can't see
how to make it work with the succession of seasonal planting, nor how to
make it fox proof.

David you might find this site of interest:
http://permaculturewest.org.au/ipc6/...ers/index.html

All I know from eggs is that we get our eggs from a friend who turns
her chickens out to pasture during the day. They get a supplement to
replace calcium, and to my understanding that is all they get. The
eggs are fresh, and as I said, the yolks are the color of apricots.
My biggest surprise was when I had my blood work done (at least once
a year) while I was eating the eggs, my cholesterol had dropped. The
eggs were the only variable that came to mind.

I will allow my chooks to range over the pasture during the day but first
I have to build a secure coop for them at night or the fox will have them.

The ******* foxes will also take chooks during the day so don't be too
convinced that a night house will be all you need.