Old 29-08-2010, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Avocado reached the roof.

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
I hope it survives long enough for me to get down there to see it!

If you are that keen on them, come to Oz where there are some truly huge
brutes about. I must admit I can't understand the interest. But then
the Wollomi Pine is another plant that fails to interest me. The story
of it's discovery is interesting but the plant..... Nah!

I am sorry to have to tell you that my favourite tree is Araucaria
araucana!

A case of 'to each their own' methinks.

I find the Araucariaceae a fascinating family (never mind Oz. If only
someone would give me a ticket to New Caledonia...) and if you could see
the Araucaria forests of Chile you would be very impressed.

I'm impressed with most forests so long as they aren't full of people. Much
more impressive than most cathedrals TMWOT. So yes, I'd probably be
impressed with the New Caledonia ones. A toally irrelevant aside - I wonder
in what way it was so like the Old Caledonia to get that name?

Have to agree with you somewhat about the Wollomi Pine, though. I can't
see what all the fuss is about. In fact, despite the obvious resemblance,
it seems that the fact is was a member of the Araucariaceae was hidden for
quite some time.

Still, the most impressive flora in the world is that from WOz. So plenty
of other things for you to choose from if you don't like A. bidwillii.
:-))

So many plants, so little time, so limiting a climate.......