Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
Scott Lewis

Default Ph & Kh Problems

Bruce Butz wrote:

Hello again everyone:
I am using a DIY Co2 bottle injected into the intake of my HOT Magnum
filter.It is working
well. My problem is my Ph is 7.2 and my Kh is
4. This gives me a Co2 rate of 6 mlg/liter.
barely more than I would have with no Co2
injection at all.
How do I lower my Ph without lowering my Kh?
I tried to raise my Kh with baking soda but
it raised my Ph,so I gained nothing.
I have been dosing Ph Down but My Ph just
bounces back up.

Sounds like you don't quite understand the relationship between pH, KH
and CO2 concentration. The pH level is the result of having xxx ppm in
the water with a given level of KH. Your KH of 4 degrees is probably ok
so long as it doesn't drop off. You just need to increase the volume
and/or efficiency of your CO2 injection. You don't say how big your tank
is. From what I've heard you would need about one 2-liter bottle per 20
gallons.

Using the pH down may have screwed up your ability to use the pH/KH/CO2
charts. One of the experts in this group would have to weigh in on that
one. But, I have yet to understand why anyone would want to use the pH
adjusters in the first place.

--

Scott Lewis