Old 29-08-2010, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dozy Hornets?

On 29/08/2010 17:18, David Rance wrote:
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Phil Gurr wrote:

Over the last three days I've found three hornets, once in the bathroom,
then in the living room then one upstairs. Besides the mystery of how
they
got into the house I'm puzzled by why all three hornet just walked very
slowly along the floor and seemed almost in a daze. I flattened each
under
foot without them even attempting to fly away. Anyone else had any dozy
hornets? Why are they behaving like that? The ones I've encountered
occasionally outside seem anything but docile.

Well. bully for you, do you kill everything that you don't understand!

Sarcasm is not helpful when you feel you might be aggressed. I'm
certainly not going to hang around in the presence of a hornet to see if
your words are true!

Hornets are much more docile than wasps and will only become
aggressive if
you get too close to the nests. Only the females have a sting and the
ones
that you killed were probably evicted males at this time of year and were
quite harmless.

In France they are considered dangerous enough for the Fire Brigade to
come out free of charge in order to deal with a colony - which happened
to me a few years ago.

Hornets
are becoming rare in Western Europe and becoming endangered in the UK,
indeed, many in the UK have never seen a hornet.

That is certainly not my experience so I wonder if your observations
about their docility is as accurate!

Forgive me being rather more "waspish" than I usually am but I was stung
by a wasp just a few minutes ago - the first time for years - and I
don't react well to them! It was your sarcasm at the beginning that
irritated me. There was no call for it.

David

I've since discovered that there is a hornets nest around 6 feet away
from the entrance to the upper part of the property. I'm giving them the
benefit of the doubt at the moment. They haven't attacked anyone or the
dogs yet. The most interest they've shown is a solitary hornet flying
side to side in front of me - sizing me up presumably.

If they keep a truce so will I. Otherwise I'll get the fire brigade in
to exterminate the nest.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.