Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
SLEngst

Default High K levels

Some discussions suggest adding KNO3 (or other source of K) to planted tanks,
so I bought a turbidity test kit. My tanks have been recently cleaned,
replanted, refished but are still growing some algae.

General info - mountain spring well water - KH, GH off scale. The tap water pH
is 8.4 after it off gasses. The yeast/sugar CO2 systems bring tank water down
to ~ 7.5. After doing the test, below, I figure my hard water isn't all
Calcium carbonate.

Tank 1 - NO3 - well below 12.5 mg/l. PO4 maybe 0.05 ???- directions say 0.02
is good but don't say what is not good. K - way in excess of the two turbidity
standards in the kit. Tank 2 about the same except the PO4 might be as much as
0.1 mg.

The K instructions say if the K is too high do a partial water change. K test
on tap water is as high as tanks. (Duh, I guess.)

Is this a problem? What is the problem? Appears I'm a bit shy of NO3. More
fish or feed will just raise the PO4, which could be a little high, but its
hard to tell. KNO3 isn't the answer. And I'm probably changing my tank water
too much too often anyhow, going at 50% a week, trying to reduce algae. I
could use some advice from someone who understands hard well water.

Thanks in advance,
Sharon