Old 30-08-2010, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Garden Shredders

"Gordon H" wrote in message
I did some severe pruning today of a large Freesia shrub which was becoming
aggressive towards me...

Halfway through shredding the off-cuts my shredder started making
interesting noises that I could hear even through the ear defenders, and
soon there was smoke. After dismantling and cleaning it, only a hum
could be heard, and it will have to be dumped.

Glancing through B & Q offerings, they all look rather plastic compared
with the sturdy B & Decker which has served me for about 20 years, in
spite of being left outdoors much of that time.

Any recommendations for electric shredders please? I am not entirely
sure whether the "silent" ones are effective, having read a few reviews...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

I bought a "Mountfield", but I'm not too impressed ny the shreddings or
chippings. If you try to shred somethng about 18mm it just chops it into
21mm pieces - NOT-shredded. OK for shredding privet cuttings though.

Bill