Old 31-08-2010, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default Garden Shredders

In message , Jeff Layman
writes

"harry" wrote in message
On 30 Aug, 19:57, Gordon H
wrote:
I did some severe pruning today of a large Freesia shrub which was
becoming aggressive towards me...

Halfway through shredding the off-cuts my shredder started making
interesting noises that I could hear even through the ear defenders, and
soon there was smoke. After dismantling and cleaning it, only a hum
could be heard, and it will have to be dumped.

Glancing through B & Q offerings, they all look rather plastic compared
with the sturdy B & Decker which has served me for about 20 years, in
spite of being left outdoors much of that time.

Any recommendations for electric shredders please? I am not entirely
sure whether the "silent" ones are effective, having read a few
reviews...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

The shredders you but in garden centres are crap. I have a "ALKO"
commercial one with a 3500watt motor. Had it for years.

Somewhat OT, but it's interesting that you have been successfully using
a 3500w device for years without problem. This equates to just over 15
amps (never mind any surges when you stuff in a particularly thick
branch!) and the 13A plug fuse and supply box fuse/power breaker don't
complain.

Good point! My garage and the RCD socket I use for outdoor equipment
are wired for 13A maximum.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply