Old 01-09-2010, 10:19 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan[_3_] View Post
The peaches on my tree, against a south facing wall, are a lovely ripe
colour and have been so for weeks. They show no sign of ripeneing. In
our last garden we grew the same variety (Peregrine) and they would be
ripe by early August. Is the problem the cool and cloudy summer, or
something else? I am slightly worried that they may get frosted a bit
later on.

We are in South Warwickshire.
This year was my best ever year for peaches. I have a white fleshed peach, like yours, against a S wall, in Bucks so not so different from S Warwicks, but an earlier ripener than Peregrine. (The particular variety I have is no longer sold by the supplier I got it from.) They look beautiful for a long time, but then ripen very suddenly. Mine started to ripen about 3 weeks ago, and were all over in 2 weeks. I'd say just keep waiting. You do need to try and anticipate, if they feel soft they are often overripe and claggy.