Old 22-08-2010, 06:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
bobwilliams bobwilliams is offline

Default California is Grape Country - Question

Wendy7 wrote:
Very nice Bob, I also have a question since you grow your own.
What time of the year are you supposed to prune down the vines?
Cheers Wendy
"bobwilliams" wrote in message
While I was out shooting the Passion Flower, I noticed that my grapes
were also coming along pretty nicely.
Almost ready for the table.
Bob Williams

My wife does the pruning. But she generally prunes heavily around
Dec.-Jan., when the plant is supposed to be dormant.

We have been told that grapes are produced on 1-year old wood so all the
old stuff gets pruned back pretty hard.
I suspect there is a real science to doing it right but we have not
taken the time to master all the huances.
Bob