Old 01-09-2010, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan.holmes alan.holmes is offline

Default Greenhouse advice

"Lordspudz" wrote in message

Hi
I'll be taking delivery of a 10 x 6 greenhouse soon and was wondering
what would be the best base to set it on.

My options a
1 Laying slabs to allow the house to sit in the middle of the slabs. (I
will probably lay some slabs inside filling in the rest with gravel).

2 A concrete base (using containers, pots and raised beds inside the
house)

Is it essential (or preferable) to have a soil bed in the greenhouse or
can I get away without one just using containers etc?

Can anyone suggest the pros and cons of both options as I'm new to
greenhouses and would like to get it right.

I mounted mine on a base made of bricks making a wall about 6 inches high to
mount the sides on, as the door would have been a little dificult to get
through as I am/was 6'3", the ground part I made a path with concrete down
the middle, and kept soil on each side, but this was not wise, and so I
covered the whole floor with concrete, on one side I put a long bench which
has been very useful, and the other side I grow thing in pots or growbags.

Alan

Many thanks

Terry

--