Old 02-09-2010, 04:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
soup[_6_] soup[_6_] is offline

Default Greenhouse advice

On 01/09/2010 17:50, Lordspudz wrote:
Hi
I'll be taking delivery of a 10 x 6 greenhouse soon and was wondering
what would be the best base to set it on.

We have slabs under ours and everything is in pots, we do however have a
trough for the tomato plant-pots to sit in, this trough is filled with
gravel. We decided on slabs rather than a full concrete base to allow
any spilled water to drain away. Have no experience of soil or partial
soil under the greenhouse. Would imagine that an entirely soil base
wouldn't be stable enough .

The gravel will act as a soakawy and the slabs will give you something
sturdy to put, say, staging on. Only caveat I can see with that system
is weeds growing in the gravel, and the usual gravel 'migration' as it
is trailed about on boots etc.

http://www.cheesesoup.myby.co.uk/images/GH7.jpg
Wee pic of what ours looks like.