Old 02-09-2010, 10:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default It's not Just Joel Salatin anymore

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article ,
says...
In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article ,

says...

I recall the soil being pretty good in the small farm oriented dairyland
where most of my relatives lived when I was a kid. Small herds of dairy
cattle, crop rotation including legumes, some farms growing feed for the
farms with the bigger herds. I wonder how such a model can be mapped to
beef herding. What comes to my mind is - grass fed beef rather than lot
fed beef, mixed with a smaller heard strategy where the feed is closer
to local than it is with modern large beef cattle herds.

If you haven't, have a look at "A Farm for the Future" on youtube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Revolution

From above URL.

Romanticism
Main article: Romanticism
During the Industrial Revolution an intellectual and artistic hostility
towards the new industrialisation developed. This was known as the
Romantic movement. Its major exponents in English included the artist
and poet William Blake and poets William Wordsworth, Samuel Taylor
Coleridge, John Keats, Lord Byron and Percy Bysshe Shelley. The movement
stressed the importance of "nature" in art and language, in contrast to
"monstrous" machines and factories; the "Dark satanic mills" of Blake's
poem "And did those feet in ancient time". Mary Shelley's novel
Frankenstein reflected concerns that scientific progress might be
two-edged.
[edit]

Look for Albion and Blake and Wagner for past transgressions ))

If you're responding to the link I posted, "Did you look up the video
and watch all of it?"

If not, I have little to say except that I may be a romantic but not
about gardens, farms, agriculture etc. ...and I've worked in industry
and feel the the terms used to describe the machines, mills and
factories in the wiki article and poetry don't do them justice.

I took lit crit in uni btw.

http://www.americainfra.com/news/perfect-storm/

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden