Old 02-09-2010, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Spamlet Spamlet is offline

Default shrub damage to house wall

"Jim K" wrote in message
On 2 Sep, 18:22, "Spamlet" wrote:

If this trough is joined to your house wall - which we can't tell
from the pic - with no waterproof membrane between, then the bushes may
actually be keeping the damp out of your house.

or more likely the complete opposite

Jim K

No: bushes transpire a huge amount as you will find if you ever try to dig
up a privet hedge: always bone dry and rock hard beneath. Without the
shrubs, if the trough butts straight to the house wall (which does not look
to be the case.) there is nothing to use up any rain water and some might
get into the house wall. However, if said trough is anything like one
beside my house, the main reason for it being built will have been to get
rid of loads of old bricks and rubble, and there will only be a thin layer
of actual soil on top - as I found when I tried to deep dig it to grow veg!
In that case water just runs straight out the bottom anyway.