Old 02-09-2010, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Spamlet Spamlet is offline

Default shrub damage to house wall

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
On Sep 2, 2:56 pm, Frank wrote:
On 9/2/2010 12:16 PM, john hamilton wrote: Do these shrubs so close to a
house wall pose any future problems for the
house brickwork?

http://tinypic.com/r/2sbtyz5/7

Thanks for advice.

Probably no harm, but, have you not heard the word, prune?
I don't allow any bush to touch my house.

What is that, euonymous, maybe? Should take pruning
wonderfully. I wouldn't use shears, but I don't like an
overly manicured look.

Looks like a little weeding is in order, too. Something
else is growing up in there. Stay on top of it.

My yard is a weedy mess; I've got glossy buckthorn
growing up everywhere. I regret letting it get out of hand.
Now it's going to be a buttload of work to hack it down
and keep it down.

Cindy Hamilton

Not sure what you mean by 'glossy buckthorn' - though I've had terrible
problems with berberis/mahonia which puts out roots all over the place and
is impervious to weedkillers.
With bushes that sucker, digging/winching them up is the only way: the more
you cut the more they spread. Whole hillsides round here have been covered
in dogwood, thanks to well meaning 'scrub bashing' events, just making more
problems for later.