Old 02-09-2010, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Best tomato year since the Reagan administration

This has been the best year that I've had for tomatoes since the 1980s,
it's more than made up for last year's disaster. The most prolific plants
have been the Sugar Snacks which have produced many hundreds of tomatoes.
The Grape and Sun Gold Cherrys are also producing countless tomatoes, the
Tellow Pears are also doing OK but not as well as the Sugar Snacks, Sun
Golds and Grapes. My large varieties are just now starting to ripen but
they are all heavy with tomatoes. The first to start ripening have been
the Cherokee Purples, but now I'm getting Black Princes and Cosmonaut
Volkov's. I started the Black Princes and Cosmonaut Volkov's from seed,
this is the first time that I've been successful doing that.

The hot dry weather gets most of the credit, but the other thing that's
different this year is that I covered my garden with a horse manure mulch.

My cucumbers and corn are also doing well, they both failed completely
last year. The disappointment has been my blueberry bushes, last year in
they produced so many berries that I still have a freezer full of them,
this year I only got berries for a couple of weeks.

I'm in Massachusetts. Is everyone else having a good year also?