Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default Greenhouse advice

In message , Lordspudz
writes

Hi
I'll be taking delivery of a 10 x 6 greenhouse soon and was wondering
what would be the best base to set it on.

My options a
1 Laying slabs to allow the house to sit in the middle of the slabs. (I
will probably lay some slabs inside filling in the rest with gravel).

2 A concrete base (using containers, pots and raised beds inside the
house)

Do you need any extra height in the greenhouse? - often a little bit of
extra height is useful.

Both my last greenhouses were on a course of concrete blocks. I then
fixed treated timbers on top of that and the greenhouse was fixed to the
timbers.

One because it was going onto an existing concrete slab anyway. The
other because it was on sloping ground. Though I would probably go the
same way again. Otherwise of your two options I'd go foe the slabs. It's
a lot less effort than laying a concrete slab.

Is it essential (or preferable) to have a soil bed in the greenhouse or
can I get away without one just using containers etc?

We've had both. For general use, I'd suggest that an all over base of
concrete or slabs is best, as it's most flexible - staging etc. can
easily be moved around and easily cleaned (as long as there is a drain
hole through the wall or whatever supporting the greenhouse)

Though a central path with gravel each side works ok, and will be
cheaper and easier.

Soil beds have their advantages - less watering and good for sowing
some early/late saladings in, but overall in less useful in an
intensivley used space.
--
Chris French