Old 03-09-2010, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Can anyone work this out please?

Harry. Cubic capacity = volume not weight.

Think a cubic metre of feathers and a cubic metre of sand. Which do you get
most of?

Kind regards

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

"harry" wrote in message
On 3 Sep, 08:32, "Ragnar" wrote:
"Ben Short" wrote in message

I need to fill a raised bed area with compost or horse manure. I can get
it
in the builders bags, the big ones used for sand etc, for £45 delivered,
however B&Q do a bag of compost which is 125 litres for £6.70.

Now I dont know how much is in these big bags but wondered if I needed 2
big bags would it be cheaper buying it from B&Q rather than the builders
bag full from the local garden shop.

My only problem is the garden centre stuff is a little on the sandy
side.

Thanks folks

One of those jumbo bags is about 850 kg
(seehttp://www.wickes.co.uk/Sharp-Sand/invt/220081) which in the case of
sand
would equate to a bit over 1 cubic metre (1000 litres). At £45 per bag
this
works out at £5.62 per 125 litres compared to B&Q's £6.70.

HTH
R.

Are you mad? Sand is much denser than compost, you can't equate the
two.
Why is he putting horse manure in his bed?