Old 03-09-2010, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default It's not Just Joel Salatin anymore

In article ,
says...

As for the link you posted... I think we're past the point where we need
to know anything but what we already know. Badness is coming our way,
stupid technologies won't help us survive and we must be prepared for
dry, wet, or both; with a plan A & B, knowledge, experience, seed and
community.

Our year has been too dry and our summer, too hot.

Was this on 1/5 or latter I gave up after 1/5 video. I'm not sure
badness in the cards but fear sure seems to be about. Last time I
looked fear inhibits movement. Much better to mimic good when you see
it and get on.

A local has a full copy from BBC with public showing rights so I've seen
the whole thing as it's meant to be seen.

I forget exactly where it is in the video. ...To sum up the relatively
short segment, it's possible to design pasture that builds and protects
the soil so that you can overwinter animals in the pasture, even in the
wet conditions of Britain.

I've been making topsoil for over 45 or 50 years neighbors wonder
why. But I consider it gold along with Good quality hand tools.

Everyone I know does and feels the same about good quality tools though
many don't get the need to have *sharpened* good quality hand tools.

I just shake my head when someone tries to hammer through a root with a
dull garden spade or bludgeons the hell out of weeds with a blunt hoe.

The two maintenance tools everyone should have are a grinder to create
sharp edges and a good file to maintain sharp edges while you work.

My well that I drove with my dad 38 years ago may be failing due to
well point rot. I'm told I can get a new well BUT the old one must be
destroyed. I want a back up hand pump for power failure. Stinks but
the health department want and controls the wells per dwelling. This
in water rich S. Jersey.

Geez... Can you apply for an exemption to that bit of law?