Old 03-09-2010, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potting plants could cause Legionnaires' disease

On 03/09/2010 15:49, Ian B wrote:

Of course it's always advisable to avoid getting a cut dirty. There are lots
of diseases that like to make their way into the body via a dirty wound.
Legionella isn't one of them.

Interesting. I did wonder if it was an over-reaction by what is becoming
an overly elfin safety conscious society. I am surprised so many
gardeners wear gloves though to handle compost. It sounds like it may be
a wise thing to do?

Last year I ended up with a fungal infection on both knees - I think it
was due to kneeling on the bare soil while planting seedlings and
wearing shorts. It took three months to get rid of the infection with
anti-fungal creams - it was damn persistent. I guess the abrasion of the
soil on the bare skin was enough to introduce the spores under the skin,
especially while putting weight on my knees.

I've just been kneeling and planting more seedlings today, but kept
stout jeans on despite the heat. My back just won't take stooping for
long nowadays.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.