Old 03-09-2010, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spamlet Spamlet is offline

Default How long do cuttings last in water?

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
About 4 months ago I noticed a branch of Daphne odora aureomarginata
hanging by a thread of bark. I broke it off, and cut the end square just
below a leaf, so that the cutting was about 12 cm long, and removed all
lower leaves.

I stuck it in a small container of water on a shady window and forgot
about it, other than to empty out the water and replace it when I
remembered (about every 3 weeks!). It lost one or two leaves, but started
growing more small ones.

After 3 months I checked it but there was still no sign of any roots.
Replacing the water, I added a couple of drops of hormone rooting liquid
and put the cutting back in. It's still alive a month later, still with
no roots. Any guesses as to how long it will go on like this?

--

Jeff

You could try moving it on to sharp sand instead?