Old 03-09-2010, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Luton[_2_] Paul Luton[_2_] is offline

Default Greenhouse advice

On 01/09/2010 17:50, Lordspudz wrote:
Hi
I'll be taking delivery of a 10 x 6 greenhouse soon and was wondering
what would be the best base to set it on.

My options a
1 Laying slabs to allow the house to sit in the middle of the slabs. (I
will probably lay some slabs inside filling in the rest with gravel).

2 A concrete base (using containers, pots and raised beds inside the
house)

Is it essential (or preferable) to have a soil bed in the greenhouse or
can I get away without one just using containers etc?

Can anyone suggest the pros and cons of both options as I'm new to
greenhouses and would like to get it right.

Many thanks

Terry

I did a concrete foundation around the outside and central path. I have
had two years growth of tomatoes etc from the soil beds. Containers IMO
are more demanding in terms of watering.

One thing that I did get wrong was a slight (2mm)slope on the foudation
the wrong way for the gutter to drain to where I wanted a water butt.

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames