Old 04-09-2010, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete[_9_] Pete[_9_] is offline

Default Water Butts and Water Meters

wrote in message
Whilst I do have water butts, they don't store enough for a prolonged
dry spell. I augment them by keeping a bucket under the kitchen tap to
collect everything from rinsing hands to straining vegetables. It's
surprising how quickly it fills, especially once the crops ripen and
need washing. In a really dry spell the washing-up water goes onto the
garden too.

Whilst I do have a soakaway near the butt, I have toyed with the idea
of directing the overflow around the garden in leaky hoses. Has anyone
tried this? Do the ones that look like porous rubber leak fast enough
for a downpour, or would it be better to drill decent-sized holes in a
real hose?

One snag with that idea is that you would only get your leaky hose operating
when the ground is also being watered by the rain !

Better to devise a leaky hose system for when it was not raining and much
easier done as well

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com