Old 04-09-2010, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin Roger Tonkin is offline

Default Potting plants could cause Legionnaires' disease

There was an item on this on Radio 4 You and Yours, Friday lunch time.

They interviewed Prof Pennington, who poured scorn on the cut hand
theory, saying that a abteriea that effects the lungs would not get
there through the blood supply. He reckoned that it was breathing in the
dust that probably did it.

Both this prog and the telegraph article were confused between bought
potting compost and compost made using garden waste. The general theory
was that provided the heat in your compost heap was sufficient, the
thing would be destroyed. However it then went on about leaving half
used bags of damp comp0ost in warm places like a greenhouse, which would
provided ideal breeding conditions. One so called expert even said that
you should only buy the amount of compost you need each time, so that it
is fresh! Having seen the piles of bags in garden centres that have
faded in the sun (or perhaps light and rain!), I think he needs to get
real - besides if I am potting up half a dozen plant, where can I buy a
diddy amount of compost?

I think there is more danger to your life in crossing the road, than
there is inhandling compost (of whatever sort)!

Roger T