Old 04-09-2010, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] chrisj.doran@proemail.co.uk is offline

Default Water Butts and Water Meters

On 4 Sep, 09:31, "Pete" wrote:
wrote in message

Whilst I do have a soakaway near the butt, I have toyed with the idea
of directing the overflow around the garden in leaky hoses. Has anyone
tried this? Do the ones that look like porous rubber leak fast enough
for a downpour, or would it be better to drill decent-sized holes in a
real hose?

One snag with that idea is that you would only get your leaky hose operating
when the *ground is also being watered by the rain !

I did think of this, but digging spuds after recent downpours I found
that the earth was still dry a few inches down. Therefore if I ran the
leaky hose through my fruit bushes it should do them some good,
especially as the leaves will have deflected most of the rain away
from their roots.

Chris