Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
RifRaf

Default How many Otto's, SAE's etc. do you use?

Leigh,

I looked into this recently, getting snails to cover for the Ottos,
and from what all I could read/find, snails would most likely destroy
my plants.

I'd still be very interested in a snail or two *IF* I could be
positive that my plants would be safe.

OH.....3 Ottos and 1 SAE (5 gal. soon to be replaced by 10gal)

Chris

On 25 Oct 2002 10:58:05 GMT, oSpam (LeighMo) wrote:

The only question now is: do we really need Otto's? Is there something they
do
SAE's cannot do?

IME, they eat different kinds of algae. SAEs eat mostly filamentous algae.
(They don't have sucker mouths, so can't suck algae off the glass like otos,
pl*cos, etc., can.) Otos like "flat" algae: the kind that grows on the glass,
or flat on the leaves of plants.

The otos' small size allows them to perch on delicate leaves and clean them of
algae, when larger fish like pl*cos cannot.
A good replacement for otos are snails. They eat the same type of algae, and,
like otos, can clean the most delicate leaves of algae without harming them.

Leigh