Old 05-09-2010, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Back to Gardeners World

"Sacha" wrote
"David WE Roberts" said:
"Sacha" wrote
, Martin said:
Dave Hill wrote:

Why on earth didn't he show how to Plat onions instead of that bit of
rope.

His system is very simple, the other isn't. The result is the same.

And looks prettier hanging over the Aga than my old tights. ;-)
Aesthetics, David aesthetics. ;-)) All this takes my memory back to
the French onion man in his black beret, riding along on a wonky old
bike.

We used to watch a big van pull up in the local car park and then the
'french onion sellers' get out with their bikes to cycle round the
streets.
As usual, 90% of everything is in the marketing.

Not in Jersey in the 1950s it wasn't! They were straight off the ferry on
and with their bikes *and* the onions!

We had one as a customer when I worked in Twickenham, used to come over
every year for a few weeks. Had been doing it for years, always rather
dashing (so the girls told me) and I think his motive for coming over here
might not just have been selling onions. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden