Old 05-09-2010, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John T[_2_] John T[_2_] is offline

Default Onions: Homegrown v Shop

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Part_No" wrote ...
We here at home have been thinking(dangerous) since Gardeners World,
about
the economics regarding growing them.
The difference in taste say, between a shop bought new potato and a home
grown is enormous as is a tomato or broad beans or most vegetables we
grow.

We wonder can anyone truly say that a home grown onion which has been
stored tastes any different from a shop bought?

We are talking pennies to buy a 5kg sack, versus the time, room and
effort
it takes us to get the same.

Just wondering because the garden here is quite small and we feel the
room
we have could have been managed better than we have done.

Ours are always a lot stronger and make one cry more than a shop bought
one.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Much better than shop ones we think.
I grow stuttgarter, a friend grows sturon, a few years ago I gave some to a
friend who said later that she hadnt cried properly when cuttng up an onion
for years. She thought it was just her own metabolism changing, but now
considers that shop onions, and farming in general (or most of it) has
changed over the last half century to produce bland food for the masses.

We will continue to grow our own!

John
at the very top end of Wirral.