Old 06-09-2010, 02:29 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default How to get rid of yellow jacket bee's nest ??

On 9/5/10 5:21 PM, Nelly wrote:
"J wrote in message
On 9/5/10 12:04 AM, lil abner wrote:

There is a law that says you can't use fire to get rid of yellow
jackets???
You don't use enough gasoline to fill a well. A quart or so is generally
all it will take but I have seen a nest that was over 5 ft deep.

Why light it? When you pour the gas down the hole, the fumes will
displace the air, so the fire won't go down the hole. The soil will keep
the heat away from the nest.

I have found that the fumes from a tablespoon of gasoline will kill a
nest. I imagine soil organisms can soon break down that small amount.

But why use gasoline at all when just some boring old bucket of soapy water
could work. That way you also don't have to pinpoint with a great deal of
accuracy the entry hole, either.

This worked for me, but the first time I was askeered and I think I poured
it out too quickly (or ran before I quite finished - I was hardly well
protected clothing-wise!). One more dousing the next night took care of the
last few of them.

Keeping in mind that I doubt the nest was particularly large, either....

That reminds me of a method where you don't have to find the nest. Make
a tripod of sticks a foot or two long, to stand in a bucket or pan.
Hang a piece of fish from it. Add water until the level is an inch or
two below the fish. Add a drop of detergent to the water and leave the
trap where yellow jackets can find it.

They tend to fall in when the try to fly with a piece of fish. The soap
speeds drowning. It may catch so many that it has to be emptied each night.