Old 06-09-2010, 03:58 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
The Daring Dufas The Daring Dufas is offline

Default How to get rid of yellow jacket bee's nest ??

On 9/5/2010 4:21 PM, Nelly wrote:
"J wrote in message
On 9/5/10 12:04 AM, lil abner wrote:

There is a law that says you can't use fire to get rid of yellow
jackets???
You don't use enough gasoline to fill a well. A quart or so is generally
all it will take but I have seen a nest that was over 5 ft deep.

Why light it? When you pour the gas down the hole, the fumes will
displace the air, so the fire won't go down the hole. The soil will keep
the heat away from the nest.

I have found that the fumes from a tablespoon of gasoline will kill a
nest. I imagine soil organisms can soon break down that small amount.

But why use gasoline at all when just some boring old bucket of soapy water
could work. That way you also don't have to pinpoint with a great deal of
accuracy the entry hole, either.

This worked for me, but the first time I was askeered and I think I poured
it out too quickly (or ran before I quite finished - I was hardly well
protected clothing-wise!). One more dousing the next night took care of the
last few of them.

Keeping in mind that I doubt the nest was particularly large, either....

Has anyone ever used a power washer to take out a nest? Um, WTF does
"askeered" mean? Does it hurt? 8-)

TDD