Old 06-09-2010, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default Onions: Homegrown v Shop

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Gordon H" wrote

I only grew onions once, decided that the amount of work/care
involved wasn't worth it when I can buy them as and when I need them.
The ones I grew may have been slightly stronger tasting, but not
significantly so.

I never consider onions a difficult crop to grow or look after, they
take no more care than any other veg in fact not as much as some, leeks
for example. Basically you plant them and forget them except if it's
very dry like this year, they do not like weeds but you would weed
anyway no matter what the crop.

I think it was the uncertainty of when to lift them, and how long to
leave them in a Manchester climate which put me off, and the fact that
some appeared to be going soft before we used them all.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply