Old 06-09-2010, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default 'ware Hedgehogs

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 19:34:54 +0100, "Alan Hutson"
wrote:

Evening All

Could be new to some but a couple of years ago I came across a pile of
leaves set about moving them and after been bitten by fleas realised it was
Horace Hedgehogs home. Had to go to medical centre but I can't recall how I
was treated.

Today I came across another pile, I was a little more circumspect and
detected Horace or his cousin inside.
I could manage without these piles of leaves which arrive quite suddenly and
I had put down to wind.If I was to construct a des res furnished with straw
is he likely to move house or should I just save my energy,?

Alan.

For Horace's sake, be careful when moving piles of leaves with a
garden fork. Also beware other creatures. I once shoved a fork into
a pile of leaves etc, heard a squeal, and found a speared toad. I
gave a much louder squeal, shook the toad off, and covered him up. I
never discovered whether he recovered.
Also be careful not to start bonfires on previously heaped-up
materials, as Horace might be taking a nap!

Pam in Bristol