Old 06-09-2010, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default 'ware Hedgehogs

Pam Moore wrote:
On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 19:34:54 +0100, "Alan Hutson"
wrote:

Evening All

Could be new to some but a couple of years ago I came across a pile
of leaves set about moving them and after been bitten by fleas
realised it was Horace Hedgehogs home. Had to go to medical centre
but I can't recall how I was treated.

Today I came across another pile, I was a little more circumspect and
detected Horace or his cousin inside.
I could manage without these piles of leaves which arrive quite
suddenly and I had put down to wind.If I was to construct a des res
furnished with straw is he likely to move house or should I just
save my energy,?

Alan.

For Horace's sake, be careful when moving piles of leaves with a
garden fork. Also beware other creatures. I once shoved a fork into
a pile of leaves etc, heard a squeal, and found a speared toad. I
gave a much louder squeal, shook the toad off, and covered him up. I
never discovered whether he recovered.
Also be careful not to start bonfires on previously heaped-up
materials, as Horace might be taking a nap!

Alan, are you allergic to fleabites? I ask because I wouldn't generally
seek medical attention for them. I got them in my bed in Sa'udi, many
years ago, and solved the problem by (very wrongly, but I was both
ignorant and desperate) dusting my sleeping arrangements liberally with
flea powder. It will be one of numerous candidates for blame if I keel
over from some awful fatal disease.

Meanwhile, secondhand anecdotage, of what seems like a very high degree
of apocryphality and no little ghoulishness:
Somebody started a bonfire on the edge of a cricket field. To his
horror, a rabbit dashed out with its fur on fire. Bunny ran for refuge
under the pavilion...in which were stored lawn mowers...whose fuel, of
course, caught fire...and burnt down the pavilion.

--
Mike.