Old 07-09-2010, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Hutson Alan Hutson is offline

Default 'ware Hedgehogs

On 2010-09-05 19:34:54 +0100, "Alan Hutson" said:

Evening All

Could be new to some but a couple of years ago I came across a pile of
leaves set about moving them and after been bitten by fleas realised it
was
Horace Hedgehogs home. Had to go to medical centre but I can't recall
how I
was treated.

Today I came across another pile, I was a little more circumspect and
detected Horace or his cousin inside.
I could manage without these piles of leaves which arrive quite suddenly
and
I had put down to wind.If I was to construct a des res furnished with
straw
is he likely to move house or should I just save my energy,?

Alan.

You could leave a supply of straw and hope they use and at the site given
below you can buy (or see how to construct) a home for them. There's no
guarantee they'll use it, though! Hedgehogs are becoming increasingly
scarce so you're extremely lucky to have them. They're a great boon to
gardeners because they eat garden pests you're well rid of. It sounds as
if yours are still breeding so don't disturb them. However, over-tidy
gardens aren't helpful to wildlife at all. Hedgehogs can breed from
April to September, though most breeding takes place in May and June. I
wish we had more of them here but because there are a lot of badgers
around we don't have many hogs, unfortunately.
http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Thanks Sacha, a useful link.

http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk and some links from there I found
worthwhile following

Its informative and well worth a visit.
I have a couple of old caravan waste water containers, rigid black PVC which
when I follow recommendations re entry, ventilation do a bit of external
insulation etc horace will hopefully find it acceptable. He's been around
for a quite a while as I frequently find droppings on the grass, I used to
call it a lawn :-)

Alan