Old 07-09-2010, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Potting plants could cause Legionnaires' disease

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
r...
On 03/09/2010 15:49, Ian B wrote:

Of course it's always advisable to avoid getting a cut dirty. There are
lots
of diseases that like to make their way into the body via a dirty wound.
Legionella isn't one of them.

Interesting. I did wonder if it was an over-reaction by what is becoming
an overly elfin safety conscious society. I am surprised so many gardeners
wear gloves though to handle compost. It sounds like it may be a wise
thing to do?

Last year I ended up with a fungal infection on both knees - I think it
was due to kneeling on the bare soil while planting seedlings and wearing
shorts. It took three months to get rid of the infection with anti-fungal
creams - it was damn persistent. I guess the abrasion of the soil on the
bare skin was enough to introduce the spores under the skin, especially
while putting weight on my knees.

I've just been kneeling and planting more seedlings today, but kept stout
jeans on despite the heat. My back just won't take stooping for long
nowadays.

I know exactly what you need, those wonderful gel-filled knee pads with
velcro attachments at the back that I sent to my German friend as part of
her birthday parcel today.

Tina